Sunday, November 14, 2010

Observing the Feeding Habits of a Couple Morbidly Obese People

I have had the privilege of closely observing the feeding habits of only two morbidly obese people. Observed, up close, it is easy to see why weight is constantly gained.

Both of the morbidly obese people, who's feeding habits I observed, had to top off every meal with a sugary treat.

I remember one of these two obese people, a male, having pizza in Eastern Washington, that had to be topped off with several candy bars.

The female obese person, who's feeding habits I have observed, and who is more obese than the male obese person, also had a worse dessert habit.

I recollect one instance where a fine healthy, nutritional Indian cuisine dinner was consumed. Upon leaving the restaurant the morbidly obese person insisted she needed to go to a nearby fast food restaurant where they custom made her a hot fudge sundae, filling up a milkshake glass.

The last time I personally witnessed the foraging habits of the most obese person I have ever observed up close, she was in a Safeway. Among the items that went into the grocery cart were bacon, donuts and a box of cookies, which the obese person seemed mesmerized by, as if caught in a push/pull dilemma, should I or should I not? After about a minute the cookies went into the shopping cart. Then a stop at the store's Starbucks to buy a sugary vanilla drink. Which I learned later contained well over 1,000 calories.

I assume this foraging pattern is repeated day after day. I recollect being at some event with this same obese person and she went to get something to eat. She came back with a healthy looking salad that she paid over 7 bucks for. She proceeded to pick out the salad's bacon, cheese and nuts and gave me the less fattening parts to eat.

I recollect being at another event where event goers seemed to take pleasure in bringing food to the obese person. Like one guy showed up and gave her a box of donuts.

The donuts incident is why I totally buy into that Harvard study that indicated that obesity is an infectious disease. In a normal day for me, I come in no contact with donuts. That day the donuts appeared I had a maple bar and an apple fritter. If I were to be in this particular obese person's personal space day after day, no doubt, I would put on weight.

I probably seem like maybe I am being a bit insensitive about obese people. But, I really don't think I am. I really feel sorry for anyone who gets into such a condition. It totally baffles and bothers me that this problem is such an epidemic.

I have been baffled when I've seen the obesity causing behavior up close, and I have been baffled by it from afar. Like a woman I saw tonight in Wal-Mart, stuffed into one of the Wal-Mart electric carts. I was amazed the cart was able to move, that the woman was able to get into the store, and then into the cart.

When your body starts to bloat up, why do you keep eating? I really think someone needs to figure this out.

The most obese person I've observed up close, who I've not seen since a couple hundred pounds ago, when she started to "fill out" she lost her neck. Her shoulders just swelled up and consumed her neck. With no neck, she was unable to turn her head. So, to look right or left, she had to rotate her entire body.

And she kept on eating.

As the fat shoved her head deeper and deeper into her chest she took on the appearance of Jabba the Hut. I'm not making this up. Multiple people have made this observation.

Don't go thinking it cruel of me to be so blunt about this particular obese person. She does not read my blog. She's under a restraining order forbidding her from stalking me, including making comments on my blogs or the blogs of anyone I know.

Now, push yourself away from the dinner table and go on a walk.

No comments: