Monday, November 1, 2010

The Warmth Advantages in Being Overweight

This morning I found myself swimming for about a half hour in my un-heated pool. With the air temperature 57.

It takes a couple minutes to acclimate to the chill. And then, til the body core starts getting too cold, swimming is quite doable.

A time or two previous I have wondered and asked if people who are overweight, like carrying an extra 100 pounds or more, are they much more easily able to tolerate cold temperatures? Both in water and air?

Most extremely overweight people do not get a lot of exercise. Which is one of the reasons they are over weight.

I am thinking that it might be possible that a hugely overweight person would greatly enjoy some time in a cool pool.

Another thing about being hugely overweight and in water is a FAT person is pretty much impossible to sink. I have known only one hugely obese person, who also got in water. She was able to simply stand and float, bobbing in the waves. It is physically impossible for me to do such a thing. It looks like fun.

Though, hugely overweight women do have a problem with their Mae West's, if their Mae West's are substantially sized. Floating in water, standing up, well, the breasts become two giant flotation devices that could become quite uncomfortable and annoying. And maybe dangerous.

So, is being hugely overweight like having a natural skin diver's outfit on? Does it work the same way it works for another large mammal, that being whales, who are able to function in extremely cold water due to their thick layer of blubber.

I want to find the answer to this vexing question without having to go to the time and bother of larding on a couple hundred pounds to find out.

2 comments:

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

Oh my goodness! Are you moonlighting? This is hysterical!

DurangObesity said...

Yes, ma'am, I am moonlighting.