Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Shocking Reversal of My Yoga Reverse Plough Position

My 2011 New Years Resolution to shrink back to 180 pounds has taken about a 2 week hit due to bad weather putting an end, for the most part, to outdoor calorie burning activity, like hiking.

Today I was hit with a shocker.

I can not do the Reverse Plough Yoga Position.

My gut gets in the way.

Confirming that this episode of weight gain has primarily centered on my center.

Two years ago wrapping a tape measure around my mid-section added up to 29 inches. I just measured my mid-section, post-lunch, to find it ballooned to 37 inches.

But, not being able to do the Reverse Plough. This is a shocking wake-up.

I first learned Yoga when I was in college. I got a Yoga book, learned the positions. And watched a Yoga Show on PBS. I forget the name of the PBS Yoga Show.

The first time I saw a photo of the Reverse Plough Position I thought that looks awful weird and difficult to do. I followed the instructions to slowly lift my legs off the floor and over my head. It was easy.

The Reverse Plough has always been easy for me.

Until today.

I was able to get my legs over my head, but getting them any further was a real strain. And then my ballooned gut stopped my legs from going any further.

Well. I am motivated now. This gut phenomenon has got to go. And go fast.

When I am once more able to successfully manage the Reverse Plough Yoga Position I'll take a picture of myself doing so. And blog it. I'm not going to take a picture of myself currently attempting the Reverse Plough Position. That is a picture I don't want to see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. Shocking!